Sunday, January 10, 2010

Still here

In the interests of keeping this blog from becoming entirely inactive, and of keeping myself writing in some capacity, I am considering broadening the subject matter of my posts.  Until now, I have focused mainly on posting poems as I write them.  Lately I haven't been writing any poems.  This is something I feel a little uncomfortable about as I was rather enjoying the poetry I was writing and the sense of fulfillment that it brought to me.  Poetry has been a great source of comfort for me and one of the ways that I communicate with the divine, call it what you will.  I have been missing this form of communication lately, however I have been hard pressed to follow in  my own footsteps, poetically speaking.  Oddly, when I think about writing a new piece, I mostly hear lines of what I have already written.  I find myself fearing that my inkwell has run dry, and that perhaps I would do well to turn to other ways of communing with the unknown.  This may be true.  I have a feeling, though, that what is needed may be more along the lines of a reevaluation of my persona.  I have recently taken the habit of tentatively placing labels on myself: writer, poet, musician, gardener, lover, asshole.  It has been an interesting experience and experiment to try out these various labels and proclamations of self.  It's difficult to say as of yet what exactly I have gained from all of this experimentation or how and whether it has caused me to grow as an individual.  I have been consciously turning away from some of my more dramatic and esoteric leanings in an effort to become a little more proficient at daily life.  Again, it's difficult to say at this point what the outcome of this attempt will be.  I am hoping to be able to blend my worlds a little better and bridge the gap between the mystical and the mundane.  I cannot bear to murder the mystic in me.  I have very deep reservations about the wisdom of such an attempt and serious doubts as to whether it would even be possible.  On the other hand, I feel that it is almost equally as vital to foster the mundane man in me.  I am of the belief that we are multidimensional beings and that all dimensions coexist together as an ultimately inseparable and interdependent whole.    In other words, I believe that the mystical and the mundane are manifestations of the same essential thing, and that often they are one and the same entirely.  While I find this belief comforting and helpful in interpreting my world, it does not solve the essential problem of living a meaningful life, and still getting the bills paid.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a clue, but just to throw out a random suggestion, maybe buying a notebook and finding a quite place, then just writing stream of consciousness about ten minutes a day might help. My main goal is to get back to a writing fiction, but I keep procrastinating.

    What I'm doing now is mostly finding pictures that fascinating me, then attempting to describe them in free verse, mixing in whims and extraneous thoughts. Sometimes I hunt through a book or news article and write down a list of every interesting phrase, then attempt to take as many as I can and put them into something almost coherent.

    You shouldn't *have* to write, but I hope you *decide* to write lots more in the future.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jim, hmmm... advice? suggestions? ideas?

    Well, first of all, the easiest way to find your own groove and stay connected to the Divine is to declare you are connected - always. It's the practice of the "I AM." When you keep it in the present tense and the Divine tense then "you are" what you decide to do.

    I AM paying the bills easily while I AM thinking deep thoughts while I AM seeking more spiritually... It's all about where and how strongly you rivet your focus.

    As to prompting yourself to write... do you have a space or a room in your house set aside only for writing? Do you have a certain time of the day or night where you always go to write? Do you allocate 15 minutes a day to writing, brainstorming about what you would like to write or processing research for it?

    As you get into a routine it will get easier for you to write at a moment's notice and it will free flow. It's like anything, the more you practice at it the easier it gets and the less time it takes to produce a write to your level of excellence you desire.

    ReplyDelete